1. Ceftriaxone use in a tertiary care hospital in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania: A need for a hospital antibiotic stewardship programme.
2.Draft genome sequence of a multidrug-resistant caprine isolate of Staphylococcus cohnii subsp. urealyticus from Tanzania encoding ermB, tet(K), dfrG, fusF and fosD click here
3. Rubella virus, Toxoplasma gondii and Treponema pallidum congenital infections among full term delivered women in an urban area of Tanzania: a call for improved antenatal care click here
4. Helicobacter pylori Mutations Conferring Resistance to Fluoroquinolones and Clarithromycin among Dyspeptic Patients Attending a Tertiary Hospital, Tanzania. click here
5. Antihepatitis B Surface Antigen and Hepatitis C Antibodies among Pregnant Women in an Urban Area of Mwanza City, Tanzania click here
6. High Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Viral Load and Co-infection with Viral Hepatitis Are Associated with Liver Enzyme Abnormalities among HIV Seropositive Patients on Antiretroviral Therapy in the Lake Victoria Zone, Tanzania click here
7. The role of patients and healthcare workers Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization in occurrence of surgical site infection among patients admitted in two centers in Tanzania. click here
8. Predictors of triple therapy treatment failure among H. pylori infected patients attending at a tertiary hospital in Northwest Tanzania: a prospective study click here
9. Urinary Tract Infections and Preeclampsia among Pregnant Women Attending Two Hospitals in Mwanza City, Tanzania: A 1:2 Matched Case-Control Study click here
10. Deciphering risk factors for blood stream infections, bacteria species and antimicrobial resistance profiles among children under five years of age in North-Western Tanzania: a multicentre study in a cascade of referral health care system click here
11. Multicentre evaluation of significant bacteriuria among pregnant women in the cascade of referral healthcare system in North-western Tanzania: Bacterial pathogens, antimicrobial resistance profiles and predictors click here
12. High diversity of Candida glabrata in a tertiary hospital-Mwanza, Tanzania click here
13. Prescription and non-prescription antibiotic dispensing practices in part I and part II pharmacies in Moshi Municipality, Kilimanjaro Region in Tanzania: A simulated clients approach click here
14. Disseminated cryptococcosis in a HIV-negative patient: Case report of a newly diagnosed hypertensive adult presenting with hemiparesis click here
15. Predominance of Brucella abortus antibodies among women with spontaneous abortion in the city of Mwanza: unrecognized link or coincidence click here
16. Adverse pregnancy outcomes among pregnant women with acute Rubella infections in Mwanza city, Tanzania click here
17. Virulence and susceptibility patterns of clinical Candida spp. isolates from a tertiary hospital, Tanzania click here
18. Prevalence, determinants and knowledge of antibacterial self-medication: A cross sectional study in North-eastern Tanzania click here
19. Hospital surface contamination with antimicrobial-resistant Gram-negative organisms in Tanzanian regional and tertiary hospitals: the need to improve environmental cleaning click here
20. Prevalence and Strain Characterization of Clostridioides (Clostridium) difficile in Representative Regions of Germany, Ghana, Tanzania and Indonesia - A Comparative Multi-Center Cross-Sectional Study click here
21. Predictors of the extended-spectrum-beta lactamases producing Enterobacteriaceae neonatal sepsis at a tertiary hospital, Tanzania click here
22. Seropositivity of Brucella spp. and Leptospira spp. antibodies among abattoir workers and meat vendors in the city of Mwanza, Tanzania: A call for one health approach control strategies click here
23. The population structure of clinical extra-intestinal Escherichia coli in a teaching hospital from Nigeria click here
24. High carriage rate of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae among patients admitted for surgery in Tanzanian hospitals with a low rate of endogenous surgical site infections click here
25. The magnitude of antibiotic resistance to Helicobacter pylori in Africa and identified mutations which confer resistance to antibiotics: systematic review and meta-analysis click here
26. Enterobacter bugandensis: a novel enterobacterial species associated with severe clinical infection click here
1. Paulina Manyiri, Rodrick Kabangila, Christa Kasang, Martha F Mushi, Mariam M Mirambo, Stephen E Mshana. Prevalence and factors associated with Mycobacteremia and mortality among febrile HIV infected patients in Mwanza, Tanzania. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2018;70
2. Martha F Mushi, Nathaniel Ngeta, Mariam M Mirambo, Stephen E Mshana. Predictors of esophageal candidiasis among patients attending endoscopy unit in a tertiary hospital, Tanzania: a retrospective cross-sectional study. African health sciences. 2018; 18(1)
3. Mariam M. Mirambo*, Mtebe Majigo, Seth D. Scana, Martha F. Mushi, Said Aboud, Uwe Groß, Benson R. Kidenya, Stephen E. Mshana. Rubella natural immunity among adolescent girls in Tanzania: the need to vaccinate child bearing aged women. BMC Women's Health. 2018; 18:3
4. Domenica Morona, Maria Zinga, Mariam M. Mirambo, Said Mtawazi, Vitus Silago, Stephen Mshana. High prevalence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria among Human Immunodeficiency Virus seropositive population in the Lake Victoria zone, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research. 2018;20(1)
1. Tito Chaula, Jeremiah Seni, Nhandi Ng’walida, Alphaxaid Kajura, Mariam M. Mirambo, Rebekah DeVinney, and Stephen E. Mshana. Urinary Tract Infections among HIV-Positive Pregnant Women in Mwanza City, Tanzania, Are High and Predicted by Low CD4+ Count: International Journal of Microbiology , Volume 2017 (2017), Article ID 4042686,
2. Maimuna Ahmed, Mariam M. Mirambo, Martha F. Mushi, Adolfine Hokororo and Stephen E. Mshana. Bacteremia caused by multidrug-resistant bacteria among hospitalized malnourished children in Mwanza, Tanzania: a cross sectional study. BMC research notes 2017, 10(62) DOI 10.1186/s13104-017-2389-z
3. Mariam M.Mirambo, Said Aboud, Uwe Gross, Mtebe Majigo Martha F. Mushi and Stephen E. Mshana: Rubella seromarkers and determinants of infection among tanzanian children and adolescents in pre vaccination Era: Are we in the right track? International journal of preventive medicine 2017 8(1),1
4. Martha F Mushi, Benedictor Masewa, Mary Jande, Mariam M Mirambo, Stephen E Mshana. Prevalence and factor associated with over-the-counter use of antifungal agents’, in Mwanza City, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research 2017, 19 (1) Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/thrb.v19i1.8
5. Nyambura Moremi, Abdalla S. Othman, Bahati P. Msaki, Stephen E. Mshana. Prevalence and antimicrobial sensitivity of Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli among underfives presenting with diarrhoea at hospitals in Mwanza City, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research 2017 19 (1) Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/thrb.v19i1.7
6. Shabani Iddi, Brayson Francis, Hyasinta M. Jaka, Mariam M. Mirambo, Martha F. Mushi. Clinical presentation and precipitating factors of diabetic ketoacidosis among patients admitted to intensive care unit at a tertiary hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research 2017, 19(1) Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/thrb.v19i1.6
7. Yustina A Tizeba, Mariam M Mirambo*,Neema Kayange, Tumaini Mhada, Emmanuela E Ambrose, Luke R Smart, Stephen E Mshana. Parvovirus B19 is associated with a significant decrease in hemoglobin level among children < 5 years of age with anemia in Northwestern Tanzania. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics. 2017
8. Mariam Mirambo*, Ndealilia Senyaeli, Stephen E Mshana. Low humoral responses to Human cytomegalovirus is associated with immunological treatment failure among HIV infected patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. The Pan African Medical Journal. 2017; 28 (131)
9. Illuminata Machumi, Mariam M Mirambo, Deodatus Ruganuza, Peter Rambau, Anthony N Massinde, Albert Kihunrwa, Stephen E Mshana, Domenica Morona. Factors associated With Toxoplasma gondii IgG and IgM Antibodies, and placental histopathological changes among women with spontaneous abortion in Mwanza, Tanzania. East Africa Health Research Journal. 2017; 86
10. Domenica Morona, Betrand Msemwa, Maria M Zinga, Martha F Mushi, Mariam M Mirambo*, Stephen E Mshana. Asymptomatic malaria and associated factors among blood donors in Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research 2017; 19(2)
11. Elieza Chibwe, Mariam M. Mirambo*, Albert Kihunrwa, Stephen E. Mshana. Magnitude of the Cytomegalovirus infection among pregnant women attending antenatal clinics in the city of Mwanza, Tanzania. BMC Research notes. 2017; 10:1(489)
12. Mariam M. Mirambo*, Fatma Maliki, Mtebe Majigo, Martha F. Mushi, Nyambura Moremi, Jeremiah Seni, Dismas Matovelo, and Stephen E. Mshana. The magnitude and correlates of Parvovirus B19 infection among pregnant women attending antenatal clinics in Mwanza, Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy and child birth: 2017
13. Mariam m. Mirambo*, Chrispus Isidor and Stephen E. Mshana.Serological profiles of Herpes simplex virus type 2 among HIV negative population in Mwanza City, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of health research. 2017
14. Martha F Mushi, Clara T Mushi, Nyambura Moremi, Mariam M Mirambo, Stephen E Mshana. Magnitude and Factors Associated with Injection Site Infections among Underfives in a District Hospital, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of health research 2017.
15. Mariam M. Mirambo*, Martha F. Mushi, Ley Shilewangwa, Caroline A. Minja, Benson R. Kidenya, Mtebe Majigo, Stephen E. Mshana.The use of 0.01M phosphate buffered saline as detection buffer for Alere Determine® HIV rapid test in resource limited settings Tanzania. Journal of health research. 2017
1. Jeremiah Seni, Stephen E Mshana, Felician Msigwa, Mecky Matee, Humphrey Mazigo, Julian Parkhill, Mark A Holmes, Gavin K Paterson. Draft genome sequence of a multiresistant bovine isolate of Staphylococcus lentus from Tanzania. Genome announcements. December 2016. 4 (6), e01345-16
2. N Moremi, H Claus, SE Mshana. Antimicrobial resistance pattern: a report of microbiological cultures at a tertiary hospital in Tanzania. BMC Infectious Diseases. December 2016. 16 (1), 756
3. MM Mirambo, M Majigo, S Aboud, U Groß, SE Mshana. Erratum to: Serological makers of rubella infection in Africa in the pre vaccination era: a systematic review. BMC Research Notes. December 2016. 9 (1), 1-1
4. J Seni, E Sweya, A Mabewa, SE Mshana, JM Gilyoma. Comparison of antimicrobial resistance patterns of ESBL and non ESBL bacterial isolates among patients with secondary peritonitis at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza–Tanzania.BMC emergency medicine. October 2016. 16 (1), 41
5. EB Mngumi, MM Mirambo, S Wilson, SE Mshana. Predictors of specific anti-Brucella antibodies among humans in agro-pastoral communities in Sengerema district, Mwanza, Tanzania: the need for public awareness. Tropical Medicine and Health. October 2016. 44 (1), 34
6. MF Mushi, G Buname, O Bader, U Groß, SE Mshana. Aspergillus fumigatus carrying TR34/L98H resistance allele causing complicated suppurative otitis media in Tanzania: Call for improved diagnosis of fungi in sub-Saharan Africa. BMC Infectious Diseases. September 2016. 16 (1), 464
7. Martha F Mushi, Gustave Buname, Oliver Bader, Mariam M.Mirambo, Uwe Groß, Stephen E Mshana. High Oral Carriage of Non-albicans Candida spp. among HIV-infected individuals. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. August 2016. 49, 185-188
8. Fridolin Mjuni, Mariam M. Mirambo, Muller Andreas, Korn Klaus, Dismas Matovelo, Martha F. Mushi, Mtebe Majigo, Stephen E. Mshana. Low CD4 counts and early sexual debut predict genital cytomegalovirus infection among HIV infected women in Mwanza, Tanzania. Virol Mycol 2016 5:1 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-0517.1000155
9. MM Boaz, S Kalluvya, JA Downs, BCT Mpondo, SE Mshana. Pattern, Clinical Characteristics, and Outcome of Meningitis among HIV-Infected Adults Admitted in a Tertiary Hospital in North Western Tanzania: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Tropical Medicine. August 2016.
10. Fridolin Mujuni, Mariam M Mirambo, Peter Rambau, Korn Klaus, Muller Andreas, Dismas Matovelo, Mtebe Majigo, Christa Kasang, Stephen E Mshana. Variability of high risk HPV genotypes among HIV infected women in Mwanza, Tanzania-the need for evaluation of current vaccine effectiveness in developing countries. Infectious Agents and Cancer. August 2016. 11 (1), 49
11. Njee Nobert, Nyambura Moremi, Jeremiah Seni, Ramesh M Dass, Isdori H Ngayomela, Stephen E Mshana, Japhet M Gilyoma. The effect of early versus delayed surgical debridement on the outcome of open long bone fractures at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Journal of Trauma Management & Outcomes. July 2016. 10 (1), 6
12. Mariam M Mirambo, Said Aboud, Martha F Mushi, Mwanaisha Seugendo, Mtebe Majigo, Uwe Groß, Stephen E Mshana. Serological evidence of acute rubella infection among under-fives in Mwanza: a threat to increasing rates of congenital rubella syndrome in Tanzania. Italian journal of pediatrics. May 2016. 42 (1), 54
13. Stephen E Mshana, Linda Falgenhauer, Mariam M Mirambo, Martha F Mushi, Nyambura Moremi, Rechel Julius, Jeremiah Seni, Can Imirzalioglu, Mecky Matee, Trinad Chakraborty. Predictors of bl a CTX-M-15 in varieties of Escherichia coli genotypes from humans in community settings in Mwanza, Tanzania. BMC infectious diseases. April 2016. 16 (1), 187
14. K Chishimba, BM Hang’ombe, K Muzandu, SE Mshana, MI Matee, C Nakajima, Y Suzuki. Detection of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in market-ready chickens in Zambia. International journal of microbiology. April 2016.
15. Swapnil Doijad, Can Imirzalioglu, Yancheng Yao, Niladri Bhusan Pati, Linda Falgenhauer, Torsten Hain, Bärbel U Foesel, Birte Abt, Jörg Overmann, Mariam M Mirambo, Stephen E Mshana, Trinad Chakraborty. Enterobacter bugandensis sp. nov., isolated from neonatal blood. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. February 2016. 66 (2) 968-974. 16.
17. I Sabi, R Kabyemera, SE Mshana, BR Kidenya, G Kasanga, LE Gerwing-Adima, A Meremo, P Clowes, A Rachow, RN Peck. Pulmonary TB bacteriologically confirmed by induced sputum among children at Bugando Medical Centre, Tanzania. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. February 2016. 20 (2), 228-234
18. B Okamo, N Moremi, J Seni, MM Mirambo, BR Kidenya, SE Mshana. Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage among pre-clinical and clinical medical students in a Tanzanian University. BMC research notes. January 2016. 9 (1), 47
19. Martha F Mushi, Alfred E Mwalutende, Japhet M Gilyoma, Phillipo L Chalya, Jeremiah Seni, Mariam M Mirambo, Stephen E Mshana. Predictors of disease complications and treatment outcome among patients with chronic suppurative otitis media attending a tertiary hospital, Mwanza Tanzania. BMC Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders. January 206. 16 (1), 1
20. Nyambura Moremi, Elizabeth V Manda, Linda Falgenhauer, Hiren Ghosh, Can Imirzalioglu, Mecky Matee, Trinad Chakraborty, Stephen E Mshana. Predominance of CTX-M-15 among ESBL producers from environment and fish gut from the shores of Lake Victoria in Mwanza, Tanzania. Frontiers in Microbiology. January 2016. 7
21. H Jaka, MF Mushi, MM Mirambo, L Wilson, J Seni, M Mtebe, SE Mshana. Sero-prevalence and associated factors of Helicobacter pylori infection among adult patients with dyspepsia attending the gastroenterology unit in a tertiary hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania. African health sciences. January 2016. 16 (3), 684-689
22. MM Mirambo, E Chibwe, MF Mushi, M Majigo, SE Mshana. Cytomegalovirus, parvovirus B19 and rubella co-infection among pregnant women attending antenatal clinics in Mwanza City: The need to be considered in Tanzanian Antenatal Care Package. Epidemiology (Sunnyvale). January 2016. 6 (230), 2161-1165.1000230
23. C Walther, KJ Marwa, J Seni, P Hamis, V Silago, SE Mshana, M Jande. Microbial contamination of traditional liquid herbal medicinal products marketed in Mwanza city: magnitude and risk factors. Pan African Medical Journal. January 2016. 23 (1)
24. Jeremiah Seni, Linda Falgenhauer, Nabina Simeo, Mariam M Mirambo, Can Imirzalioglu, Mecky Matee, Mark Rweyemamu, Trinad Chakraborty, Stephen E Mshana. Multiple ESBL-producing Escherichia coli sequence types carrying quinolone and aminoglycoside resistance genes circulating in companion and domestic farm animals in Mwanza, Tanzania, harbor commonly occurring plasmids. Frontiers in microbiology. January 2016. 7
25. Mariam M Mirambo, Peter B Mbena, Martha F Mushi, Majigo Mtebe, Nyambura Moremi, Jeremiah Seni, Stephen E Mshana. Prevalence of Hepatitis B surface antigen among pregnant women attending antenatal clinic at Nyamagana District Hospital Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research. January 2016. 18 (1)
26. Mariam M Mirambo, Charles Kivambe, Martha F Mushi, Maria Zinga, Elifuraha B Mngumi, Majigo Mtebe, Stephen E Mshana. High seroprevalence of specific Toxoplasma gondii IgG antibodies among HIV/AIDS patients with immunological failure attending a tertiary hospital in northwestern Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research. January 2016. 18 (1)
1. JM Marwa, IH Ngayomela, J Seni, SE Mshana. Cefepime versus Ceftriaxone for perioperative systemic antibiotic prophylaxis in elective orthopedic surgery at Bugando Medical Centre Mwanza, Tanzania: a randomized clinical study. BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology. December 2015. 16 (1), 42
2. Mwanaisha Seugendo, Stephen E Mshana, Aldofineh Hokororo, Benard Okamo, Mariam M Mirambo, Lutz von Müller, Katrin Gunka, Ortrud Zimmermann, Uwe Groß. Clostridium difficile infections among adults and children in Mwanza/Tanzania: is it an underappreciated pathogen among immunocompromised patients in sub-Saharan Africa? New microbes and new infections. November 2015. 8, 99-102
3. MM Mirambo, M Majigo, S Aboud, U Groß, SE Mshana. Serological makers of rubella infection in Africa in the pre vaccination era: a systematic review. BMC research notes. November 2015. 8 (1), 716
4. A Mabewa, J Seni, PL Chalya, SE Mshana, JM Gilyoma. Etiology, treatment outcome and prognostic factors among patients with secondary peritonitis at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. World Journal of Emergency Surgery. October 2015. 10 (1), 47
5. S Deutschmann, W Bohne, F Mujuni, S Kalluvya, S Mshana, U Gross, A Mueller. Low prevalence of Neisseria gonorrhoeae infections and no evidence of resistance against third generation cephalosporins in a cohort of HIV positive patients from a tertiary hospital in Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health. September 2015. 20, 287
6. Jeremiah Seni, Benson R Kidenya, Mercy Anga, Anthony Kapesa, John R Meda, Richard Mutakyawa, Zahra H Mkomwa, Fidelis Marcel, John M Changalucha, Stephen E Mshana. Incremental detection of pulmonary tuberculosis among presumptive patients by GeneXpert MTB/RIF® over fluorescent microscopy in Mwanza, Tanzania: an operational study. Healthcare in Low-resource Settings. June 2015. 3 (1)
7. Maimuna Ahmed, Nyambura Moremi, Mariam M Mirambo, Adolfine Hokororo, Martha F Mushi, Jeremiah Seni, Erasmus Kamugisha, Stephen E Mshana. Multi-resistant gram negative enteric bacteria causing urinary tract infection among malnourished underfives admitted at a tertiary hospital, northwestern, Tanzania. Italian journal of pediatrics. June 2015. 41 (1), 44
8. Stephen E Mshana, Moritz Fritzenwanker, Linda Falgenhauer, Eugen Domann, Torsten Hain, Trinad Chakraborty, Can Imirzalioglu. Molecular epidemiology and characterization of an outbreak causing Klebsiella pneumoniae clone carrying chromosomally located bla CTX-M-15 at a German University-Hospital. BMC microbiology. June 2015. 15 (1), 122
9. N Moremi, SE Mshana, S Jeremiah, G Paterson. High variability of genotypes of Staphylococcus aureus causing wound Infections at Bugando Medical Centre. International journal of antimicrobial agents. May 2015. 45, S143-S143
10. Flora Chacha, Stephen E Mshana, Mariam M Mirambo, Martha F Mushi, Rogatus Kabymera, Lisa Gerwing, Wilhelm Schneiderhan, Ortrud Zimmermann, Uwe Groß. Salmonella Typhi meningitis in a 9-year old boy with urinary schistosomiasis: a case report. BMC research notes. March 2015. 8 (1), 64
11. John DT Lawi, Mariam M Mirambo, Moke Magoma, Martha F Mushi, Hyasinta M Jaka, Balthazary Gumodoka, Stephen E Mshana. Sero-conversion rate of Syphilis and HIV among pregnant women attending antenatal clinic in Tanzania: a need for re-screening at delivery. BMC pregnancy and childbirth. January 2015. 15 (1), 3
12. Mariam M Mirambo, Roza Ernest, Denis Allilah, Martha Mushi, Majigo Mtebe, Nyambura Moremi, Hyasinta Jaka, Jeremiah Seni, Stephen E Mshana. Treponema pallidum and Hepatitis B virus co-infection among HIV infected patients in Mwanza city. East African Journal of Public Health. 12 (1), 997-1000
13. MM Mirambo, C Simon, A Kajura, B Kidenya, M Majigo, SE Mshana. Reduction of HIV transmission rates from mother to child in the era of antiretroviral therapy in the Lake Victoria zone, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research. January 2015. 17 (3)
14. M Majigo, F Mhalu, J Manyahi, S Aboud, S Mshana, W Urassa. Microbial Aetiology of Vaginal Discharge in Relation to Intra-Vaginal Practices among Women Attending Reproductive Health Clinic in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research (IJHSR). January 2015. 5 (5), 164-172
15. AI Ernest, E Ndaboine, A Massinde, A Kihunrwa, S Mshana. Maternal vaginorectal colonization by Group B Streptococcus and Listeria monocytogenes and its risk factors among pregnant women attending tertiary hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research. January 2015. 17 (2)
16. A Ndosa, BR Kidenya, MF Mushi, MM Mirambo, A Hokororo, SE Mshana. Factors associated with colonization of Streptococcus pneumoniae among under-fives attending clinic in Mwanza City, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research. January 2015. 17 (1)
17. KJ Marwa, MF Mushi, E Konje, PE Alele, J Kidola, MM Mirambo. Resistance to cotrimoxazole and other antimicrobials among isolates from HIV/AIDS and non-HIV/AIDS patients at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. AIDS research and treatment 2015
18. Phillipo L. Chalya, Jeremiah Seni, Martha F. Mushi, Mariam M. Mirambo, Hyasinta Jaka, Peter F. Rambau, Anthony Kapesa, Sospatro E. Ngallaba, Anthony N. Massinde, Samuel E. Kalluvya. Needle-stick injuries and splash exposures among health-care workers at a tertiary care hospital in north-western Tanzania. TJHR 2015:17:2
19. Phillipo L. Chalya, Fidelis Mbunda, Peter F. Rambau, Hyasinta Jaka, Nestory Masalu, Mariam Mirambo, Martha F. Mushi and Samuel E. Kalluvya. Kaposi’s sarcoma: a 10-year experience with 248 patients at a single tertiary care hospital in Tanzania. BMC research notes 2015 8 (44) DOI: 10.1186/s13104-015-1348-9
1. Chacha F, Mirambo MM, Mushi MF, Kayange N, Zuechner A, Kidenya BR, Mshana SE. Utility of qualitative C- reactive protein assay and white blood cells counts in the diagnosis of neonatal septicaemia at Bugando Medical Centre, Tanzania. BMC Pediatrics. 2014 Oct 3;14(1):248
2. Daudi P, Mushi MF, Moremi N, Iddi S, Mirambo MM, Seni J, Mshana SE. In vitro susceptibility of multi-drug resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa and extendedspectrum β-lactamase–producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from clinical specimens at Bugando Medical Centre, Tanzania to Piperacillin-Tazobactam. Tanzania Journal of Health Research. Volume 16, Number 1, January 2014. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/thrb.v16i1.8.
3. Deogratias AP, Mushi MF, Paterno L, Tappe D, Seni J, Kabymera R, Kidenya BR, Mshana SE. Prevalence and determinants of Campylobacter infection among under five children with acute watery diarrhea in Mwanza, North Tanzania. Archived of Public Health. 2014 May 30;72(1):17. doi: 10.1186/2049-3258-72-17
4. Hokororo A, Kidenya BR, Seni J, Mapaseka S, Mphahlele J, Mshana SE. Predominance of rotavirus G1[P8] genotype among under-five children with gastroenteritis in Mwanza, Tanzania. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics. 2014 May 24. doi:10.1093/tropej/fmu028
5. Jaka H, Mshana SE, Rambau PF, Masalu N, Chalya PL, Kalluvya SE. Hepatocellular carcinoma: clinicopathological profile and challenges of management in a resource limited setting. World Journal of Surgical Oncology 2014, 12 (1), 246
6. Kapesa A, Magesa D, William A, Kaswija J, Seni J, Makwaya C. Determinants of immunological failure among clients on the first line treatment with highly active antiretroviral drugs in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 07/2014; 4(sup 2):737-741. doi: 10.12980/APJTB.4.2014APJTB-2013-0035
7. Magambo K, Kalluvya SE, Kapoor S, Seni J, Chofle AA, Fitzgerald DW. Downs JA Utility of urine and serum lateral flow assays to determine the prevalence and predictors of cryptococcal antigenemia in HIV-positive outpatients beginning antiretroviral therapy in Mwanza, Tanzania. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2014, 17:19040. http://dx.doi.org/10.7448/IAS.17.1.19040
8. Manyahi J, Matee MI, Majigo M, Moyo S, Mshana SE, Lyamuya EF. Predominance of multi-drug resistant bacterial pathogens causing surgical site infections in Muhimbili national hospital, Tanzania. BMC Research Notes 2014, 7:500
9. Mbena H, Seni J, Kajura A, Matovelo D, Kihunrwa A. HIV seroconversion and associated risk factors among pregnant women delivering at Bugando Medical Centre in Mwanza, Tanzania. Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research 2014; 4 (5), 733. DOI: 10.4103/2141-9248.141539. doi: 10.4103/2141-9248.141539
10. Meda JR, Seni J, Mpondo B, Peck RN, Jaka H, Kilonzo SB. Behcet's disease presenting with recurrent ocular, oral, and scrotal inflammatory lesions in a young Tanzanian man: a case report. Clinical Case Reports. 2014 Aug;2(4):133-6. doi: 10.1002/ccr3.79. Epub 2014 May 25. PubMed PMID: 25356270; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4184648.
11. Meda JM, Kalluvya SE, Downs JA, Chofle AC, Seni J, Kidenya B, Fitzgerald DW, Peck RN. Cryptococcal Meningitis Management in Tanzania with Strict Schedule of Serial Lumber Punctures using Intravenous Tubing Sets: an Operational Research Study. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 2014 Jun 1;66(2):e31-6. [PMID: 24675586]
12. Moremi N, Mushi MF, Fidelis M, Chalya P, Mirambo MM, Mshana SE. Predominance of multi-resistant gram-negative bacteria colonizing chronic lower limb ulcers (CLLUs) at Bugando Medical Center. BMC Research Notes. 2014 Apr 4; 7(1):211.doi: 10.1186/1756-0500-7-211
13. Mpogoro FJ, Mshana SE, Mirambo MM, Kidenya BR, Gumodoka B, Imirazalioglu C. Incidence and Predictors of Surgical site infections of Post Cesarean sections at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control 2014, 3:25 doi:10.1186/2047-2994-3-25
14. Mushi MF, Laurent P, Tappe AD, Deogratius A, Seni J, Moremi N, Mirambo MM, Mshana SE. Evaluation of detection methods for Campylobacter infections among under-fives in Mwanza City, Tanzania. The Pan African Medical Journal. 2014; 19:392doi:10.11604/pamj.2014.19.392.4242
15. Mushi MF, Mshana SE, Imirzalioglu C, Bwanga F. Carbapenem resistance among multidrug resistant gram negative clinical isolates from tertiary hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania. BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, Article ID 303104, 6 pages, 2014.doi:10.1155/2014/303104
16. Mwalutende A, Mshana SE., Mirambo MM, Mushi MF, Chalya PL, Giliyoma JM, Schneiderhan W, Zimmermann O, Groß U. Two cases of chronic suppurative otitis media caused by Kerstersia gyiorum in Tanzania: Is it an underappreciated pathogen in chronic otitis media? International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2014; 29:251-3
17. Mwambe B, Mirambo MM, Mshana SE, Massinde AN, Kidenya BR, Michael D, Morona D, Majinge C, Groß U. Sero-positivity rate of rubella and associated factors among pregnant women attending antenatal care in Mwanza, Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2014, 14:95
18. Nelson E, Kayega J, Seni J, Mushi MF, Kidenya BR, Hokororo A, Zuechener A, Kihunrwa A, Mshana SE. Evaluation of Existence and Transmission of Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase Producing Bacteria from Post-delivery women to Neonates at BugandoMedical Center, Mwanza-Tanzania. BMC Research Notes 2014, 7:279 doi: 0.1186/1756-0500-7-279.
1. Chalya PL, Mchembe MD, Mshana SE, Rambau PF, Jaka H, Mabula JB. Clinico-pathological profile and surgical treatment of abdominal tuberculosis: a single centre experience in northwestern Tanzania. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013;13:270.
2. Chalya PL, Mchembe MD, Mshana SE, Rambau P, Jaka H, Mabula JB. Tuberculous bowel obstruction at a university teaching hospital in Northwestern Tanzania: a surgical experience with 118 cases. World Journal of Emergence Surgery. 2013;8(1):12.
3. Christopher A, Mshana SE, Kidenya BR, Hokororo A, Morona D. Bacteremia and resistant gram-negative pathogens among under-fives in Tanzania. Italian Journal of Pediatrics 2013;39:27
4. Gunda DW, Kasang C, Kidenya BR, Kabangila R, Mshana SE, Kidola J, Kalluvya SE, Kongola GW, Klinker H. Plasma Concentrations of Efavirenz and Nevirapine among HIV-Infected Patients with Immunological Failure Attending a Tertiary Hospital in North-Western Tanzania. PLoS One 2013;8(9):e75118.
5. Jaka H, Koy M, Egan JP, Meda JR, Mirambo M, Mazigo HD, Kabangila R, Wang YL, Mueller A, Peck RN, McHembe MD, Chalya PL. Strongyloides stercoralis infection presenting as an unusual cause of massive upper gastrointestinal bleeding in an immunosuppressed patient: a case report. Tropical Doctor 2013;43(1):46-8.
6. Kidenya BR, Webster LE, Behan S, Kabangila R, Peck RN, Mshana SE, Ocheretina O, Fitzgerald DW. Epidemiology and genetic diversity of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in East Africa. Tuberculosis 2013; doi: 10.1016/j.tube.2013.08.009.
7. Kidenya BR, Kabangila R, Peck RN, Mshana SE, Webster LE, Koenig SP, Johnson WD Jr, Fitzgerald DW. Early and efficient detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in sputum by microscopic observation of broth cultures. PLoS One 2013;8(2):e57527.
8. Lyimo FM, Massinde AN, Kidenya BR, Konje ET, Mshana SE. Single dose of gentamicin in combination with metronidazole versus multiple doses for prevention of post-caesarean infection at Bugando Medical Centre in Mwanza, Tanzania: a randomized, equivalence, controlled trial. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth 2013;13:123
9. Manyama M, Mshana SE, Kabangila R, Konje E. Acute Shortage of Faculty in Medical Schools in Tanzania: a case study at the Catholic University of Health and Allied Health Sciences. African Journal of Health Professions Education 2013;5(2). In Press
10. Mshana SE, Manyama M. Factors influencing the recruitment and retention of faculty at the Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences (CUHAS) – Bugando, Mwanza, Tanzania. African Journal of Health Professions Education 2013;5(2). In Press
11. Mshana SE, Matee M, Rweyemamu M. Antimicrobial resistance in human and animal pathogens in Zambia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mozambique and Tanzania: an urgent need of a sustainable surveillance system. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials 2013;12:28.
12. Mshana SE, Hain T, Domann E, Lyamuya EF, Chakraborty T, Imirzalioglu C. Predominance of Klebsiella pneumoniae ST14 carrying CTX-M-15 causing neonatal sepsis in Tanzania. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013;13:466.
13. Mshangila B, Paddy M, Kajumbula H, Ateenyi-Agaba C, Binta-Kahwa, Seni J. External ocular surface bacterial isolates and their antimicrobial susceptibility patterns among pre-operative cataract patients at Mulago National Hospital in Kampala, Uganda. BMC Ophthalmology 2013, 13:71 doi:10.1186/1471-2415-13-71
14. Mwambe B, Mshana SE, Kidenya BR, Massinde AN, Mazigo HD, Michael D, Majinge C, Groß U. Sero-prevalence and factors associated with Toxoplasma gondii infection among pregnant women attending antenatal care in Mwanza, Tanzania. Parasites & Vectors 2013; 6:222.
15. Seni J, Najjuka CF, Kateete DP, Makobore P, Joloba ML, Kajumbula H, Kapesa A, Bwanga F. Antimicrobial resistance in hospitalized surgical patients: a silently emerging public health concern in Uganda. BMC Research Notes 2013 ;6:298.
16. Seni J, Bwanga F, Najjuka CF, Makobore P, Okee M, Mshana SE, Kidenya BR, Joloba ML, Kateete DP. Molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus from patients with surgical site infections at Mulago Hospital in Kampala, Uganda. PLoS One 2013;8(6):e66153.
17. Shayo PA, Kihunrwa A, Massinde AN, Mirambo MM, Rumanyika R, Ngwalida N, Gumodoka B, Kidola J, Magoma M. Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and associated factors among pregnant women attending at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Reasearch. 2013; 14:3
1. Chalya PL, Mabula JB, Koy M, Kataraihya JB, Jaka H, Mshana SE, Mirambo M, McHembe MD, Giiti G, Gilyoma JM. Typhoid intestinal perforations at a University teaching hospital in Northwestern Tanzania: A surgical experience of 104 cases in a resource-limited setting. World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2012;7:4.
2. Jaka H, Koy M, Liwa A, Kabangila R, Mirambo M, Scheppach W, Mkongo E, McHembe MD, Chalya PL. A fibreoptic endoscopic study of upper gastrointestinal bleeding at Bugando Medical Centre in northwestern Tanzania: a retrospective review of 240 cases. BMC Research Notes 2012; 5:200.
3. Kuenne C, Billion A, Mshana SE, Schmiedel J, Domann E, Hossain H, Hain T, Imirzalioglu C, Chakraborty T. Complete sequences of Plasmids from the Haemolytic -Uraemic syndrome- Associated Escherichia coli strain HUSEC41. Journal of Bacteriology 2012;194:532-533
4. Lyimo FM, Massinde AN, Kidenya BR, Konje E, Mshana SE. Efficacy of single dose of gentamicin in combination with metronidazole versus multiple doses for prevention of post-caesarean infection: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2012;13:89.
5. Mbunda F, Mchembe MD, Chalya PL, Rambau P, Mshana SE, Kidenya BR, Gilyoma JM. Experiences with surgical treatment of chronic lower limb ulcers at a tertiary hospital in northwestern Tanzania: a prospective review of 300 cases. BMC Dermatology 2012;12:17.
6. Meremo A, Mshana SE, Kidenya BR, Kabangila R, Peck R, Kataraihya JB. High prevalence of Non-typhoid salmonella bacteraemia among febrile HIV adult patients admitted at a tertiary Hospital, North-Western Tanzania. International Archives of Medicine 2012;5(1):28.
7. Meremo M, Kidenya BR, Mshana SE, Kabangila R, Kataraihya J. High prevalence of tuberculosis among adults with fever admitted at a tertiary hospital in north-western Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research 2012;14(3)
8. Mirambo MM, Hamis HK, Idd S, Seni J, Jaka HM, Zinga MM, Ruganuza DM, Mazigo HD, Mushi MF. Manifestations of Tuberculosis in TB-HIV co-infected patients: A retrospective study. Tanzania Medical Journal 2012; 26:2
9. Moremi N, Mshana SE, Kamugisha E, Kataraihya J, Tappe D, Vogel U, Lyamuya EF, Claus H. Predominance of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus -ST88 and new ST1797 causing wound infection and abscesses. Journal of Infection Developing Countries 2012;6(8):620-5.
10. Msaki BP, Mshana SE, Hokororo A, Mazigo HD, Morona D. Prevalence and predictors of urinary tract infection and severe malaria among febrile children attending Makongoro health centre in Mwanza city, North-Western Tanzania. Archive of Public Health 2012;70(1):4.
11. Mshana SE. Urinary tract infections in Tanzania: diagnosis, pathogens and susceptibility pattern. Gottingen International Health Network (GIHN). Global Health. A challenge for Interdisciplinary Research. Chapter 21 Page 245 – 250. ISBN: 978-3-86395-047- 7
12. Seni J, Kidenya BR, Obassy E, Mirambo M, Burushi V, Mazigo HD, Kapesa A, Majigo M, Mshana SE. Low sputum smear positive tuberculosis among pulmonary tuberculosis suspects in a tertiary hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research 2012;14(2)
13. Shayo PA, Kihunrwa A, Massinde AN, Mirambo M, Rumanyika RN, Ngwalida N, Gumodoka B, Kidola J, Magoma M. Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and associated factors among pregnant women attending at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research 2012;14(3).
14. Temu A, Kamugisha E, Mwizamholya DL, Hokororo A, Seni J, Mshana SE. Prevalence and factors associated with Group A rotavirus infection among children with acute diarrhea in Mwanza, Tanzania. Journal of Infections in Developing Countries 2012;6(6):508-15.
1. A Temu, E Kamugisha, DL Mwizamholya, A Hokororo, J Seni, SE Mshana. Prevalence and factors associated with Group A rotavirus infection among children with acute diarrhea in Mwanza, Tanzania. The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries 6 (06), 508-515
2. SE Mshana, BR Kidenya, JB Kataraihya. In vitro activity of cefepime against extended spectrum p-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae from clinical specimens at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research 13 (4), 119-121
3. Stephen E Mshana, Lisa Gerwing, Mercy Minde, Torsten Hain, Eugen Domann, Eligius Lyamuya, Trinad Chakraborty, Can Imirzalioglu. Outbreak of a novel Enterobacter sp. carrying bla CTX-M-15 in a neonatal unit of a tertiary care hospital in Tanzania. International journal of antimicrobial agents 38 (3), 265-269
4. E Festo, BR Kidenya, A Hokororo, SE Mshana. Predictors of Urinary tract infection among febrile children attending at Bugando Medical Centre Northwestern, Tanzania. Archives of Clinical Microbiology 2 (5)
5. B Mawalla, SE Mshana, PL Chalya, C Imirzalioglu, W Mahalu. Predictors of surgical site infections among patients undergoing major surgery at Bugando Medical Centre in Northwestern Tanzania. BMC surgery 11 (1), 21
6. E Kamugisha, M Manyama, P Rambau, HD Mazigo, SE Mshana, Z Masesa. Pulmonary histoplasmosis presenting as chronic productive cough, fever, and massive unilateral consolidation in a 15-year-old immune-competent boy: a case report. Journal of medical case reports 5 (1), 374
7. SE Mshana, E Kamugisha, M Mirambo, JB Kataraihya. The role of uncentrifuged urine microscopy in the diagnosis of urinary tract infection. Tanzania Medical Journal 25 (1), 17-18
8. PL Chalya, M Mchembe, JM Gilyoma, JB Mabula, AB Chandika, SE Mshana. Bite injuries at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania: A five year experience. East and Central African Journal of Surgery 16 (1)
1. N Kayange, E Kamugisha, DL Mwizamholya, S Jeremiah, SE Mshana. Predictors of positive blood culture and deaths among neonates with suspected neonatal sepsis in a tertiary hospital, Mwanza-Tanzania. BMC pediatrics 10 (1), 39
2. Humphrey D Mazigo, Rebecca Waihenya, Nicholas JS Lwambo, Ladislaus L Mnyone, Aneth M Mahande, Jeremiah Seni, Maria Zinga, Anthony Kapesa, Eliningaya J Kweka, Stephen E Mshana, Jorg Heukelbach, Gerald M Mkoji. Co-infections with Plasmodium falciparum, Schistosoma mansoni and intestinal helminths among schoolchildren in endemic areas of northwestern Tanzania. Parasites & vectors 3 (1), 44
3. SE Mshana, M Joloba, A Kakooza, D Kaddu-Mulindwa. Campylobacter spp among Children with acute diarrhea attending Mulago hospital in Kampala-Uganda. Makerere University Medical School
4. V Mayala, SE Mshana, PL Chalya, R Dass, SE Kalluvya. Prevalence of HIV infection among trauma patients admitted to Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania and its influence on Outcome. Tanzania journal of health research 12 (4), 222-227
5. SE Mshana, ML Joloba, A Kakooza, D Kaddu-Mulindwa. Role of microscopic examination of stool specimens in the diagnosis of campylobacter infection from children with acute diarrhoea in Kampala, Uganda. Tanzania journal of health research 12 (1), 100-103
1. SE Mshana. State of the globe: Evaluating the existence of extended spectrum beta lactamases. Journal of global infectious diseases 1 (2), 85
2. SE Mshana, C Imirzalioglu, H Hossain, T Hain, E Domann, T Chakraborty. Conjugative IncFI plasmids carrying CTX-M-15 among Escherichia coli ESBL producing isolates at a University hospital in Germany. BMC infectious diseases 9 (1), 97
3. SE Mshana, E Kamugisha, M Mirambo, T Chakraborty, EF Lyamuya. Prevalence of multiresistant gram-negative organisms in a tertiary hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania. BMC research notes 2 (1), 49
4. SE Mshana, C Imirzalioglu, E Domann, T Chakraborty. The usefulness of microscopic observation for drug susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex in routine clinical microbiology laboratory. Tanzania Journal of Health Research 11 (2)
5. HM Jaka, SE Mshana, AC Liwa, R Peck, S Kalluvya. Prevalence of immunological failure and durability of first line antiretroviral therapy at Bugando Hospital Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Medical Journal 24 (2)
6. E Kamugisha, H Mazigo, M Manyama, P Rambau, M Mirambo, JB Kataraihya, S Mshana. Low sensitivity but high specificity of ParaHIT-f in diagnosing malaria among children attending outpatient department in Butimba District Hospital, Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research 11 (2)
7. SE Mshana, E Kamugisha, M Miramb, P Chalya, P Rambau, W Mahalu, E Lyamuya. Prevalence of clindamycin inducible resistance among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Health Research 11 (2)
8. A Masinde, B Gumodoka, A Kilonzo, SE Mshana. Prevalence of urinary tract infection among pregnant women at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania. Tanzania journal of health research 11 (3)